Sunday, February 17, 2013

I Choose Positivity

positivity becomes positivity

good comes from good

what you surround yourself with is what you will become

As cliche and starry eyed as those statements may seem I believe in all of them and if I really believe the last one then good positive things are in my future. 

This past week was Valentine’s Day, which I can certainly take or leave particularly this year since my retail gig involves working in a card department and it was like a zoo.  However, I saw love and such pure, raw goodness emerge for some who are near and dear to me.  So much love and good has surrounded me this week.  I got to hold a one day old baby, born to some amazing friends, I heard the news of other friends getting engaged and I feel so fortunate to be part of these people's lives, that I am included in their joy and good news particularly before it hits facebook (side note: this may be the new measure of real friendship)!

I believe that surrounding yourself with positivity serves to bring positivity into your life.  I have certainly had the contrary happen.  There have been times throughout my life when I have chosen to distance myself from people or end relationships because I knew that they were negative forces in my life.  As I have gotten older I try to be very intentional about the people I surround myself with and as I have written about a lot on this blog it is these people (my village) who have been a great, positive influence on me and have created a supportive space for me.   Now this is not to say that there are not bad days or that negativity never rears its ugly head; even through those moments I choose positivity.  Yes, I said it I choose positivity. I believe it is a choice and for all of the naysayers, for those who wallow, and believe nothing good can come.  I say choose.  Let the other things exist; the negative the bad, the sad.  Honor them, recognize them, even let them win sometimes and then choose.  Choose positivity. Choose how you react.  Choose your attitude.  Choose to see the good.  Choose who and what you surround yourself with. Choose to be happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment