Sunday, February 10, 2013

Emergency Soup

When I left my job in September I very quickly entered crisis mode.  I was not sure about a lot of things including how I would pay my bills, when I would be working again and if I would be OK.  What I did know is that I had a farm share with Enterprise Farm that was paid off that would be providing me with vegetables until Thanksgiving.  I knew that I would have fresh veggies and this gave me a sense of comfort.  It was a little thing yet held such great meaning and significance in a time when everything was so up in the air.  Another part of this particular farm is that each week in addition to the regular vegetables you received you also have the opportunity to ‘pick your own’ vegetables from certain fields and in September the peppers were plentiful.  And I picked peppers, I picked them like they were my job, like my life depended on those peppers.  I figured out how to freeze them and have had peppers throughout the winter.

I also spent a lot of time making different varieties of soup and chili throughout the fall from the vegetables that I had.  I unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) did not label these soups, and packed my freezer full of them.  I call these my emergency soups, and throughout the winter I have been able to pull them out of the freezer (not sure what I was getting) and enjoy a great hearty and healthy meal.  They symbolize my ability to sustain myself, to take care of myself and also to feel a continued connection to my community.  

 Click the picture above for this awesome Sweet potato chili recipe!

I took a lot time to make these soups/chilis and actually followed recipes.  I was squirreling away for the winter, preparing for the unknown and taking some control during a time when it felt like I had little control. I have said before that I have been a lot healthier than I had been in a long time and this is another piece of that.  With the gift of time I have been given, I have been cooking a lot and eating well.

This past week the Northeast was paid a visit by Winter Storm Nemo.  I took out some of my emergency soup to defrost and hunkered down.  Fortunately,outreach came from the members of my village to make sure I was taken care of and a number of homes were opened up to me so I would not have to wait out the storm by myself.  I know two things for certain, I have friends who will take care of me and I also have my emergency soup!

"Good soup is one of the prime ingredients of good living.  For soup can do more to lift the spirits and stimulate the appetite than any other one dish." 
~ Louis P. De Gouy, 'The Soup Book' (1949)


No comments:

Post a Comment