Sunday, August 18, 2013

Breathing is supported here

So I have not written a post in three weeks though I have started a couple of times.  My delay in writing is not because things are bad but maybe even because things are good.  I have paused before submitting a post, deleted entire posts because I was rambling about how things are really good.  Why do I feel like only the sad and ugly or the times that I was triumphant are what is significant not the moments of life as good, life as what makes sense.  That is what life is now, life is good, life does make sense right now.  My friend Jenny wrote about it similarly on her blog here: http://jennyfinn.com/celebrate-what-is-honoring-happiness-with-gratitude/

What I have been pondering a lot lately in this positive life I feel like I am immersed in right now is that I am fortunate to be in a position (in life and at work) where I have balance and balance is supported, where I can breathe and breathing is supported.

I have realized that if the job that I am in now is going to be as good as I think it will be it will allow for me to maintain the balanced life that I so very much value.  In the past work was my life, my life revolved around work and for many years that worked for me until it did not.  Until I was in job that was very unpleasant, dare I say even toxic. I left that job and started to breathe again.  I started this new job and breathing is actually supported.  I have made a decision that work will not be my life that it will be part of my life, that it will support my life life, but my whole world will not revolve around the work that I do but instead the life that I want.

Now that being said, student staff arrived this evening, these are the students that I will be supervising this year, one of the main reasons why I wanted to return to this important work, and we will be training for the next two weeks...work will be my life.  I know that these times will exist in the work that I am choosing to do. I also know that I am able to make time in the midst of the chaos (because it certainly is) to practice yoga and breathe...because that is supported.

How do you do the work you love, how do you live the life you want to live and sustain a balanced existence  I am not sure I can fully answer that yet, but hope to examine this on a daily basis and make it a priority...because it is supported.

"Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky.  Conscious breathing is my anchor." 
~ Thích Nhất Hạnh

No comments:

Post a Comment