Sunday, June 2, 2013

Just a little patience...yeah yeah

Patience is a virtue.

Time heals all wounds.

A watched pot never boils.

Good things come to those who wait.

All of these are cliches that we know and are repeated as we wait in anticipation of something.  But how really do we cultivate patience.  I know for myself just repeating a mantra like "Be patient, don't fret" has been working lately.  But really being patient is quite difficult and each passing day makes it more and more challenging.  If good things come to those who wait them I have certainly been earning some good things points with all of the waiting I have been doing.

Google defines patience as: The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble or suffering without getting angry or upset.  I think that is really interesting and to pull it apart it is really like knowing there will be some outcome, some resolution, something you are waiting for and being able to wait without getting angry or upset.  So then google how should one be feeling?  I would say that I have that fairly under control.  I am not feeling angry or upset I have however been feeling anxious and through this anxiousness both positive and negative emotions arise.  

As you may have noticed I like to share quotes that have relevance to what I am writing.  I have come across a number that I am drawn to about patience (better than the above cliches) and really instead of writing more on this subject I will share some of these quotes:

“Why is patience so important?"
"Because it makes us pay attention.” 

~Paulo Coelho

“Patience is power.
Patience is not an absence of action;
rather it is "timing"
it waits on the right time to act,
for the right principles
and in the right way.” 

~ Fulton J. Sheen

“A waiting person is a patient person. The word patience means the willingness to stay where we are and live the situation out to the full in the belief that something hidden there will manifest itself to us.” 
~Henri J.M. Nouwen

What all of these quotes emphasize and what I have been saying a lot lately is that everything has a way of working itself out and that does not just meaning sitting back and doing nothing, but being an active participant in the waiting (paying attention, acting and living life to the fullest).


2 comments:

  1. When I finally got my job people were trying to recite these things to me incl. 'good things come...'
    My response, 'too soon.' Three months in, I can almost say that's the case but those emotions you're having are still a little too fresh =)
    Great way to live - being an active participant!!!
    -Melissa W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! And I am sure you can certainly relate!

      Delete