Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I wrote a poem and it was published!!

Just less then two years ago and only about 6 months into my yoga practice I saw somewhere out in cyperspace a call for poetry about yoga. I sat down in front of my computer, composed a poem, made a few edits and submitted it.  I think the last time I wrote a poem may had been in a High School English class.  I would have not called myself a poet, but something happened, a force took over, I felt inspired and I composed my first poem and submitted it.  I found out a few months later that my poem would be included in the second volume of the Poetry of Yoga which is officially released today. I was as surprised as I was honored to be chosen to be a part of such an amazing project.  
"A ground-breaking project, The Poetry of Yoga has expanded the literary tradition of yoga to include the cultural perspective of the 21st century. A modern day collection compiled and edited by artist, poet, and yogi HAWAH, the two volumes are distilled from over 2,000 pages of poetry that was submitted online from 19 countries.
 Hawah’s vision was to help kick-start a modern day renaissance of age-old, and now deceased, master poets such as Hafiz, Mirabai, and Rumi; hence reclaiming the mystical expression that defines so many yoga practitioners around the world today.  The only book of its kind, The Poetry of Yoga has harnessed and created an important platform for a new body of work that reflects on how yoga continues to shift the landscape of human civilization. The other part of the mission is to raise money for the non-profit organization One Common Unity, which teaches non-violence and conflict resolution through the arts to inner-city youth.  Fifty percent of book sales are donated to benefit their pioneering programs and initiatives."  (From the official press release)
Here is my poem:
My practice

breathe
stretch
move
breathe
breathe
thoughts
thoughts
I am in my head
whats going on
what do I need to do tomorrow
whats for dinner
breathe
breathe
focus
must focus
am I doing this right
my body does not move like theirs
breathe
breathe
breathe
that’s not comfortable
my body does not move like that
this hurts
but I want to do it like they are doing it
adjust
adjust
relax
breathe
it will be ok
it is ok
i can move how i need to move
relax
breathe
breathe
if I do this now I will be relaxed for tomorrow
stop thinking about relaxing
breathe in and out, out and in
it is ok
my body moves how it is supposed to move
breathe
open heart
release the days stress
breathe
breathe
breathe
grace
appreciate the practice where I am at
breathe
breathe
breathe
breathe
gratitude
grace
love
grace
light
shine
heart
grace
wisdom
open
open
open
breathe

You can order your copy of this remarkable collection of poetry that I am honored to be a part of here: www.ThePoetryOfYoga.com





No comments:

Post a Comment